"I borrowed this recipe from my husband—it’s now the President’s Chili Recipe. When we lived in Chicago, we loved to invite our family and friends over to our house, make a batch of chili, and enjoy the evening together." —Michelle Obama
ingredients: Add all to shopping list
1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb ground turkey or beef
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground oregano
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground basil
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
5-6 tomatoes, chopped
1 can red kidney beans
At a glance:
1. Sauté onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add ground meat and brown.
3. Combine spices, then add to ground meat.
4. Add red-wine vinegar.
5. Add tomatoes and let simmer until cooked down.
6. Add kidney beans; cook a few more minutes.
7. Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions, and sour cream