ingredients: Add all to shopping list
1 (16-oz) box elbow macaroni
1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, preferably Parkay
1 Tbsp flour
1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
1 (16-oz) package Velveeta cheese, diced
1 (16-oz) package sharp cheddar cheese, diced
1 cup bread crumbs
At a glance:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni with oil and salt until al dente. Drain.
3. In a large saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and egg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in Velveeta cheese and half the cheddar; cook on low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. If sauce is too thick, stir in up to 1/2 cup milk.
4. Add cooked macaroni to sauce. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Taste and add extra salt, if necessary
5. Pour mixture into a large greased casserole dish or baking pan. Top with remaining cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until top and bottom are browned. Cool slightly, cut, and enjoy!
- A steamed vegetable such as broccoli goes well with this hearty dish. Add a tossed salad with a balsamic vinaigrette for some extra greens.
- You can substitute Monterey Jack, Gouda, or mild cheddar for all or part of the sharp cheddar.
- If the top of the macaroni browns before the filling is cooked, tightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and continue cooking until heated through.
Serves: 12. Per Serving: 550calories, 41g carbs, 25g protein, 31g fat, 80mg cholesterol, 1,050mg sodium, 2g fiber