ingredients: Add all to shopping list
1 large bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into 4-inch-long spears
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, diced
5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup well-chilled heavy cream
3 Tbsp medium-dry sherry
Fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 lb total), cooked and sliced thin
At a glance:
1. In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook broccoli for 6 to 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside, covered.
2. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil. Cook on low, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thick.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat cream with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, then add to flour mixture, along with sherry and lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange broccoli on a flameproof platter. Top with half the sauce. Stir 1/4 cup Parmesan into other half of sauce. Arrange chicken on broccoli, pour remaining sauce over top, and sprinkle mixture with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.
5. Broil, about 6 inches from heat, for 1 minute or until sauce is golden and bubbling.
- Pair this dish with a simple arugula salad. The bitterness of the greens will balance the flavors of the chicken. You can also serve this with a side of rice. Then break out some bread and a really great wine and you’re good to go.
- You can substitute 2% or whole milk for the heavy cream if you want a lighter dish.
- If you don’t have a flameproof platter, serve the chicken in a 2-quart gratin dish or another shallow casserole dish.
Serves: 6. Per Serving: 370 calories, 13g carbs, 32g protein, 20g fat, 120mg chol, 560mg sodium, 3g fiber