1. In a 6 to 8 qt pot, pour one cup oil and turn heat on medium-high. Cook pork until all water has evaporated from the meat.
2. Turn heat to low and add onions on top of meat. Stir bottom frequently to keep from sticking. Cook until onions become glazed and most of the liquid has evaoprated from them. Add water and sausage and turn heat to a low boil. Make a mental note of the pot's water level.
3. Cook 10 minutes, adding seasoning to taste. Turn heat off and check water level to make sure it has not decreased much. (Replace water as needed) Skim off excess oil, leaving a small amount.
4. Turn heat back to low boil and season to taste again. Add extra salt and pepper because the rice will absorb much of the seasonings.
5. Turn heat on medium to high and add rice, stirring frequently to keep rice from sticking. Stir 6-7 minutes until rice has soaked up most of the liquid.
6. Turn heat to low and let cook for 10 minutes.
7. Without disturbing or stirring the rice, run a large spoon down the sides of the pot in 3 or 4 places to allow the water on top to drain to the bottom.
8. Seal rice back in place with the back of the spoon.
9. Time 20-25 minutes and turn rice over without scraping the bottom of the pot.
10. Turn heat off and Jambalaya is done.