1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Cut a lengthwise slit down all the sausage links and peel off the casings. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage meat and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon or using a potato masher to break up the larger chunks of meat, until the sausage meat is cooked through and no longer pink, about 20 minutes. Drain the skillet of excess liquid.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water according to the directions on the box.
4. While the pasta cooks, make the vinaigrette. In a glass jar or bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add the garlic, onion, cilantro, salt & pepper and whisk until well blended.
5. Drain the pasta and pour it into a large bowl. Immediately pour in the dressing, followed by the cooked sausage, and mix well. Serve immediately, or cover and chill for at least two hours, or up to six. Serve at room temperature, or microwave to heat. Just before serving, sprinkle Parmesan cheese to taste on top.
With the publication of her first cookbook, Elsie’s Turkey Tacos and Arroz con Pollo: More than 100 Latin-Flavored, Great-Tasting Recipes for Working Moms, Chef Elsie looks forward to continuing her culinary career. More on her cookbook.
Next Up: Also try this Cider-Baked Chicken and Sausage