Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour 5 min (plus cooling time)
To make crust:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter with brown sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add egg and molasses. Mix well with an electric stand mixer, or by hand.
2. Meanwhile, mix together whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix into the creamed ingredients until well blended.
3. Place the dough in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and press the dough in to form a crust.
4. Bake the crust for 5-7 minutes at 350°F. Then, remove from the oven.
To make filling:
1. In a large bowl, combine: sweet potato puree, evaporated milk, honey, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and sea salt. Use a whisk or a spatula to blend until combined.
2. Pour the sweet potato pie filling into your pre-baked gingersnap crust.
3. Turn oven up to 425. Place pie pan onto cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat back to 350 and continue baking for 45-50 additional minutes, or until center of the pie is set when cut with a knife. Allow the pie to cool completely.
To make spiced cream:
1. While pie cools, combine whipping cream, powdered sugar (or honey), cinnamon and ginger in a metal bowl.
2. Whip using a hand mixer or the whipping attachment for your stand mixer, until stiff peaks form in the cream.
Visit Sara Wyse's blog, joyinmykitchen.blogspot.com for more recipes.