1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Roll half of the pie dough on a lightly floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Drape the dough into the pie plate, leaving about an inch overhang.
2. Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cornstarch in a small bowl. Reserve.
3. Arrange the pear slices in the pie shell and sprinkle with the reserved dry ingredients. Drizzle with orange and lemon juices; dot with small pieces of butter.
4. Roll out the remaining pie dough to form the top crust. Moisten the rim of the bottom crust with water. Cover with the top crust, trimming any large amount of excess. Press the two crusts together lightly and roll the edges under toward the center with your fingers. Crimp the edge decoratively.
5. Beat egg and cream together; glaze top crust lightly with a pastry brush. Cut size 2-inch slits evenly around the top for steam to escape and to test pears for doneness. Bake pie in center of the oven for 1 1/4 hours. Cover edges with aluminum foil if the crust becomes too brown. Cool on a pie rack until slightly warm or room temperature.
Serves 6 to 8. Per serving (based on 8): 447 calories, 24g fat, 64mg cholesterol.
Next up: Sheila Lukins' Apple Pie