ingredients: Add all to shopping list
1 package dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup hot water (110°F)
2 to 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
Olive oil to prepare bowl
Cornmeal for peel and stone
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
½ lb mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces or rounds
1 clove garlic, minced
4 leaves basil, cut into bits
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
At a glance:
3 hours 10 min (includes time to make dough)
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1⁄4 cup water. In a bowl, combine remaining 3⁄4 cup water with 2 cups of flour and salt. When yeast bubbles, add to flour mixture. Stir and turn out onto a floured board. Let dough stand while you clean bowl. Coat inside of bowl with olive oil.
2. Knead dough 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary to make it silky. Return to bowl, cover with 2 tight layers of plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 2 to 3 hours or until double in size.
3. Punch down dough and flatten on a well-floured board. Pound dough with heel of hand and lift to stretch it, methodically working dough into a circle about 14 inches in diameter. Sprinkle peel [see tools, above] with cornmeal and place dough on it.
4. Sprinkle cornmeal on -pizza stone [see tools, above]; put in oven. Preheat to 400°F.
5. Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella, and garlic on dough. Sprinkle with basil and 1 Tbsp oil. Top with Parmesan.
6. Slide pie onto hot stone, using a quick, jerking motion (like playing shuffleboard, but in reverse). Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is browned to taste. Let pizza cool 5 -minutes; slice.
Serves 4. Per Serving: 480 cal, 57g carbs, 24g protein, 18g fat, 35mg chol, 1080mg sodium, 3g fiber
Total Cost: $5.63