1. In work bowl of an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, molasses, and butter for 1 minute. Beat in eggs one at a time.
2. Add flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Beat until no traces of flour are visible. Cover and refrigerate for half an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. On a floured work surface, roll out a quarter of the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut out small gingerbread boys and girls. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake cookies for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 3 minutes on pan. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
5. To make icing, combine confectioners' sugar, meringue powder, and 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl. Beat with mixer set on medium for 10 minutes. If icing seems stiff, beat in 2 or 3 tsp warm water.
6. Frost tops of cookies or pipe on designs. Decorate with candies.
Makes 5 dozen. Per Serving: 160 calories, 30g carbs, 2g protein, 3.5g fat, 15mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 0g fiber