When it comes to savory pies, this homemade classic reigns supreme. We've lightened up this classic by skipping the bottom crust and using fat-free chicken broth. And forget making your own pastry for the top, use a pie crust!
ingredients: Add all to shopping list
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 onions, diced
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
1½ cups carrots, diced or sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
3 Tbsp flour
3 cups fat-free chicken broth
4 cups chicken, diced and cooked
1 cup frozen peas
1 (14-oz) whole-wheat pie crust
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
At a glance:
1. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, and minced garlic. Cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add flour and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Whisk in chicken broth, bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in chicken, frozen peas, salt, and pepper. Pour into a large, round baking dish coated with cooking spray.
5. Place a 14-oz whole-wheat pie crust over chicken. Make 1-inch cut in crust to let steam escape.
6. Bake pie at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is hot.
Serves: 8 | Per serving: 320 calories, 31g carbs, 25g protein, 11g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 3g fiber