Servings: Makes 1 9-inch pie.
Active Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 10 hours (includes chilling time)
To make crust:
1. Combine flour, salt, sugar and butter in bowl of mixer. Using a paddle attatchment, mix on low speed until butter is incorporated, but still quite visible, which contributes a flaky texture to the crust.
2. Add ice water and mix just until dough is moistened but does not come completely together. Pour onto lightly floured work surface and finish working together with your hands until smooth. Form dough into a round disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 6 hours or overnight. The dough can also be prepared up to 4 days in advance.
3. Remove the dough from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes to soften slightly. Knead a few times if needed until smooth. Generously flour work surface. Roll dough from the center into a 12-inch circle, turning dough as you roll to maintain shape. To transfer your dough to a pie plate, drape it over a rolling pin or fold it in half.
4. Carefully center the dough in a 9 inch pie pan, and press dough around bottom and sides. At the edges for the pie pan you should have ½ inch extra dough to work with. Fold it in half over lip of pan, and begin crimping edges with your hands. Freeze dough for 2 hours or overnight.
5. Blind bake pie shell: Preheat oven to 375 F. Line pie shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 25 minutes until edges begin to brown. Remove pie weights and return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
To make filling:
1. Reduce heat to 350 F. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, toast pecans for 5 minutes.
2. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until it begins to brown and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes, do not burn butter. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, salt; add eggs until smooth. Whisk in butter.
4. Add chopped pecans to pie shell then pour filling over pecans. Place pie on baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Filling will rise and when shaken, it will set. Cool completely before serving.
Makes 1 pie.