1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Mix in vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour and salt. Gradually add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough takes shape. NOTE: If a pliable dough takes shape before all 2 cups of flour has been added, do not add anymore flour!
4. Fold chocolate chips into the dough.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop dough and roll into balls. Place each ball of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheet.
6. Bake until edges of cookies are golden brown, after about 15-20 minutes. Remove cookies from baking sheet to cool. Optional: cookies cool, you may place a large chocolate chip or chocolate kiss on each cookie.
Makes 2 dozen cookies