Who says that kids are the only ones who can dress up for Halloween? This month, we're all about dressing up our food. We've given Kit Kats the Frankenstein treatment, Reese's the werewolf look, and doughnut holes a simply hilarious bat costume. And, since no food is sacred here in the Dash crafting kitchen, we've decided to give good old pears an impish halloween makeover, too. With just a little bit of imagination and a few sweet adornments, you can transform a simple piece of fruit into a devilishly delicious Dracula-inspired treat.
Watch the video below to learn how to make it.
Ingredients: Red Anjou Pear, stem removed
Mini marshmallow, cut into two slices
Black gel icing
Fruit Roll Up, any color
Red string licorice
Red gel icing
Mini marshmallow, cut into two small triangles
Red Fruit Roll-Up
Directions: 1. To make the hair: Spread icing around the top of the pair to create Dracula's signature hairline.
2. To make the eyes: Using icing, attach two marshmallow slices to the pear. Make a black dot in each marshmallow.
3. For the cape: Carefully wrap a whole Fruit Roll-Up around the pear.
4. To make the mouth: Cut a 1-inch piece of string licorice, and using red gel icing, attach the licorice piece just below the eyes on the pear.
5. To make the fangs: Attach two small triangles of marshmallow to the string licorice.
6. To make the bowtie: Cut a small rectangle of red Fruit Roll-Up and twist it at its center to create a bowtie shape. Using red gel icing, attach bowtie to pear just below the red licorice mouth.
Do you have a creative treat idea you'd like to share or a question for Shannon? Email us!
Shannon McCook is dash's crafty associate editor whose appetite for play in the kitchen keeps our readers (and us) endlessly entertained. Find her daily on our Facebook page, or follow her on twitter@mccoooky.
Shoot us your kitchen queries, share your opinions, or just come and say "Hi!" on Facebook and on Twitter @dashrecipes
We’re here to bring you simple, fast, and delicious recipes that are not only family-friendly, but budget-friendly, too. In our grocery deal center, we help you save by showing you what’s on sale before you go to the store. To begin, please enter your zip code below.
Update your zipcode below to find simple, fast, delicious recipes that are connected to specials at your local grocery stores.
Select the grocery store(s) you shop at the most. As you browse our deal center, you’ll see what’s on sale at only those stores. You may modify or change this preference at anytime by updating your profile.