Photos by: Chia & Hon Photography (Deen Bros), Courtesy of Deen Bros (Chops)
Food Network star Jamie Deen explains why his mom, Paula, always overcooked her chops.
My brother, Bobby, and I were so fortunate growing up. We’ve faced a lot of challenges in our lives, but being hungry was never one of them. On any given night, Mom [Paula Deen] would prepare these tremendous traditional Southern meals for us. One of my favorites was fried pork chops. She fried a lot of chops because they were affordable and pretty easy to prepare. It’s interesting, though: My mom was always so worried about trichinosis and her “babies.” I think I’d already learned the word “trichinosis” by age 6—and Mom would overcook our pork as a precaution against it.
These days, I try not to make a lot of fried food. So this recipe is like the pork chops I grew up loving, but cooked on the grill. Either way, I still like mine completely done!
Jamie and Bobby Deen are hosting BERINGER VINEYARDS’ GREAT STEAK CHALLENGE. the finale airs this fall on THE COOKING CHANNEL.
Balsamic Cherry Pork
2 Tbsp (plus 2 tsp) olive oil
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
3 cups frozen cherries, chopped
¼ cup chicken stock
3 Tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
½ tsp salt, plus extra to taste
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus extra to taste
4 (6-oz) bone-in pork chops
1. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar; cook for 30 seconds. Add cherries and stock. Cook over high until liquid is thick and slightly syrupy, 5 to 7 minutes. Whisk in butter, ½ tsp salt, and ½ tsp pepper. Transfer half of glaze to a separate bowl.
2. Coat chops with remaining oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush chops with cherry glaze.
3. Preheat grill to high and oil the grate. Grill chops 5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
4. Let chops sit for 5 minutes. Top with remaining cherry glaze.
Servings: 4 | Per serving: 320 calories, 20g carbs, 18g protein, 18g fat, 60mg cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 2g fiber
- “A balsamic cherry glaze just makes pork more elegant—and kids love it, too.”
- “I’d have a nice glass of crisp, clean white wine with this dish. But if you like red, there are no boundaries. You can do a merlot or a cab.”
- “I always give my son Jack, who’s 4, sauces on the side, and I credit Green Eggs and Ham for his willingness to try them. We read that book all the time.”
Visit us on Facebook
to post your kitchen queries, share your opinions, or just come and say "Hi!" Also follow us on Twitter @dashrecipes