The April 24 issue of PARADE featured an exclusive interview with First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden on their new military families initiative. For more information on their interview visit Parade.com/whitehouse.
The First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden shared with us their family's favorite recipes. On the menu: Obama Family Chili and Nana Biden's Chicken Parm.
1. Sauté onions, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft.
2. Add ground meat and brown.
3. Combine spices, then add to ground meat.
4. Add red-wine vinegar.
5. Add tomatoes and let simmer until cooked down.
6. Add kidney beans; cook a few more minutes.
7. Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions, and sour cream.
Nana Biden’s Chicken Parm
"I have Italian roots and wonderful memories of Sunday-night dinners with my grandparents when I was growing up, so when I cook, it tends to be pastas and Italian dishes that feed the many Bidens. Chicken Parm has always been a family favorite, and I usually serve it with some sort of pasta. I don’t use a formal recipe at this stage, but I always make sure to use Italian breadcrumbs and add Parmesan cheese to them."
1/4-1 cup Parmesan cheese (depending upon your preference)
Enough Italian breadcrumbs to cover 4 chicken breasts
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2–3 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 jar spaghetti or marinara sauce
8-ish slices mozzarella cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix Parmesan cheese into breadcrumbs.
3. Whisk egg; dip chicken breasts in egg and then into breadcrumbs.
4. Sauté chicken breasts in olive oil until they are lightly browned, about 3 minutes each side.
5. Set chicken in a baking dish, add salt and pepper to taste, cover with mozzarella cheese, and add sauce. I usually put a little more mozzarella and Parmesan on top, too.
6. Bake about 25 minutes…and I always think it’s best with a little pasta on the side.
For more extras from PARADE's exclusive interview with Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden, visit http://www.parade.com/whitehouse
|This Month in dash
||The Cutest Bunch of
Plus, How-To Videos